- Qualified health care professionals and development experts working voluntarily across borders, recognize the need for a global, unified approach to tackling pandemics.
- Support for nurses & nurse-midwives in their fight against pandemics, with a current focus on the production of evidenced-based, reusable locally produced PPE in the context of the COVID pandemic.
- Project management is established at the country level with known and trusted partners in target countries in Africa.
- Production and distribution of personal protective equipment are supervised by senior nurses in close cooperation with government healthcare authorities.
*Eswatini, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Zanzibar, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
In the context of the Covid pandemic, AAN’s mission is to provide information, technical support, and funding for nurse and nurse-midwife projects in Southern and Eastern African countries to produce evidence-based reusable face masks for distribution to nurses, nurse-midwives, other healthcare workers, and vulnerable groups.
AAN’s immediate overall vision is to protect a significant number of nurses, midwives, and other healthcare workers in Southern and Eastern African countries from the Covid virus, ensuring containment, reducing transmission and Covid related morbidity and mortality among patients, families, and community members, through local production and distribution of evidence-based, reusable face masks. A linked, longer-term vision is the development of locally based, environmentally sustainable and evidence-based PPE production systems, empowering countries and communities to meet their own PPE needs.
The principal work of the COVID Africa Action Network for Nurses & Nurse-Midwives (AAN) is focused on four main targets:
- Developing guidelines for local production of evidence-based reusable face masks.
- Funding projects for local production & distribution of evidence-based reusable face masks.
- Convening Covid Q&A sessions for healthcare professionals across borders to exchange knowledge and practices in the prevention and treatment of COVID.
- Working with the World Continuing Education Alliance to freely deliver up-to-date COVID courses to nurses and nurse-midwives on the WCEA platform and app.